Pages

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Dog We Called Satan


It was a warm evening while we were living in Costa Rica.  I was walking back to the house after dinner.  Suddenly, I saw a huge pit bull sprinting across the driveway, barking, and lunging straight for me.  I threw my hands up in the air as the dog lept into the air.  The next think I knew his paws were on my chest.  There must have been a band of angels standing right in front of me.  Instead of sinking its teeth into my neck, it was as if "the Satan dog" was pushed off of me.  Thankfully, it became distracted by another dog behind the fence next door which was barking like crazy.  It was just enough time for the owner to come out and get his dog before making another attack.

I remember that night fondly.  Afterwards, I wanted to flee.  I no longer wanted to walk past the dog which was on the way to school.  After much prayer, I realized that it was one way to get us distracted.  Robert Morgan, author of Red Sea Rules, says, "We always make a mistake when we acknowledge the Lord and keep our eyes on Satan.  Far better to acknowledge the devil while keeping our eyes on Christ."

It's been one of those weeks.  You know, when the fridge, vacuum cleaner, mixer and what seems to be "everything else" decides to stop working or go wrong.  Baby is teething, sleep is hard to come by, and sometimes you just think you're about to go NUTS!

Sometimes I wonder and have even asked God, "Are you trying to make me go crazy?!"

I know it's not true.  I know He loves me.  But sometimes the pressure is so much that you end up walking around finding it hard to not ask the famous question..."Why?"

Then, I hear it clear as day.  "Amanda, beloved, you are asking the wrong question."  Morgan states in his book, "The next time you're overwhelmed, instead of asking, "How can I get out of this mess?" try asking, "How can God be glorified in this situation?"

"God doesn't waste suffering.  If He leads us into impossible spots, He will deliver us in His own time, in His own way, and for His name's sake.  Our job amid the difficulty is to learn our Lord's simple but submissive prayer:  What shall I say?  Save me from this hour?  No, Father, glorify Your name!"- Robert Morgan

I pray that the next time I'm facing a trial... which probably won't be too long from now, that I will put on the armor of God.  Knowing that the One who lives in me, can crush the enemy in the blink of an eye.  Lord, I love you.  Thank you for your protection and guidance.  Thank you for your promises that I hold tightly to.

No comments:

Post a Comment