Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2013

The 4 Wheeler Ride

It was a nice warm summer evening out in the country some 20 years ago.  My friend, Jodie, and I were getting ready to take the 4 wheeler for a spin.  Mom had given me specific instructions, "Amanda, this is not a toy.  Whatever you do, do not leave the 4 wheeler alone and go off somewhere else.  Stay on it at all times."  I responded with "Yes ma'am!"  We were eager to ride it and feel the wind against our face.  After a quick lesson, we were off.  Just me and my bestfriend, exploring the country roads together.

Well, we probably got a 1/2 mile down the road when all of a sudden it just died.  We didn't know what to do.  We tried turning it around so we could push it back, but the steering wheel was locked.  I heard my mom's words ringing in my head.  I was afraid I had broken it and wasn't about to leave it in the middle of the road.  So we did what any other kid would have done, we PULLED that monster all the way back home.  Up and down two hills, stinking machine was swerving all over the place.

As we came down the last hill my mom and nanny were sitting on the front porch.  Upon seeing us, they started laughing and walking toward us.  They were laughing so hard I'm sure they almost peed in their pants because they had to stop a few times to cross their legs, hold their stomachs, and catch their breath.

Jodie and I were not so happy.  We were TICKED actually with our faces as red as a puffy tomato!  Tears started to stream down my face. I was so dog tired, and scared of what would happen since we had broken the darn thing.  My nanny walked up, held in some button, turned the switch to "On" and it started right up.  I guess my thumb had slipped and since I had only received instructions on how to operate it while it was running, I didn't know how to start it up again.  I was so mad that they were laughing and yet relieved that I hadn't broken it.  My mom said, "One day you will look back on this and laugh."  My response was, "Yeah right!"

Twenty years later I still think about that day and laugh.  For two young girls, those hills seemed like mountains.  I think about the mountain I'm coming down right now with the breastfeeding challenge.  Our baby girl seemed to be allergic to something, so for four months I basically ate four things:  chicken, rice, carrots, and oatmeal.  It was HORRIBLE!  I wanted to give up every minute of every day.  I tried putting her on formula but that didn't seem to help.  So, we decided to stick it out.  Had it not been for my husband, I would have given up.  Fortunately, when we went home for two months my mother-n-law found a probiotic powder that helps develop a baby's digestive system called Natren.  Literally, four days later, she stopped having screaming tantrums.

Now we have almost made it to 8 months with the goal being 6 months.  It was probably the hardest things I have ever done.  I'm so grateful to God for the endurance he gave me, for the support of my husband, and for my mother-n-law who found that powder.

We all have our mountains to climb with some being steeper than others.  But to climb that mountain and then be on the other side of it is the best feeling in the world.  I can still hear my mom's voice, "Whatever you do Amanda, don't leave that 4 wheeler!"  I can smile now after shedding many tears because I didn't give up.  Whatever monster you are battling, know that God is with you.  He will give you the strength you need for that day.  You are not alone.  And maybe, just maybe, you will look back one day and laugh:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment