Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

My First Love

Larry and I were talking the other night about how we wanted to teach our daughter about God.  Two months have passed since she was born, and to be honest it has been challenging and wonderful all at the same time.  With late night feedings and learning to be parents, I personally haven't had the discipline to spend the time that I desire to spend with God.

It's so easy to allow that part of our lives to fade into the background isn't it?  God, who was my First Love gets put aside and other "things" take precedence.  I don't like it.  I miss my time with the One who gives us all things.  I want to feel His presence and hear His voice.  It's a slow fade and before you know it, you find yourself living a life out of your own strength. 

Larry and I both found a relationship with Christ while in college.  We talked about how we didn't want to teach our daughter to just go to church on Sunday.  And yet, I know it is so easy to fall in that trap.  It's so easy to put Him in a box, to only visit once a week.  He is so much more to us than that.  But how do we teach her to love Him?  How will she learn who God truly is?

This morning, I read Ann Voskamp's blog titled "How to Really Live."  The story hit home in many ways.  She says, "There are a thousand ways to be lukewarm and there’s a reason I know that. I’ve been apathetic about grace  and casual about Christ and you can lose your First Love faster than you can lose the 100 meter dash. And when you lose your First Love, you don’t just lose your way — you lose your mind."

She goes on to tell the story of how a man escaped from Auchwitz during WWII and the repercussions that others faced because of it.  You can read the story here:  http://www.aholyexperience.com/

After reading the story, I could only bow my head as tears streamed down my face.  Lord, show us how to live.  Show us how to love.  Teach me to be still Lord in the midst of the busyness.  I opened my eyes and I saw this reminder.



I wrote it down when I found out that I was pregnant.  I wrote it when I was scared of possibly losing the life that was growing inside of me.  When I was scared or unsure, I would read this quote and be reassured that I can trust God completely.  I can trust Him even when it doesn't work out the way I want.  I read it this morning and was reminded of His love for me, for all of mankind.  





 


No comments:

Post a Comment