Pages

Monday, May 9, 2011

Adventures in Ecuador...

Today, what started out as my plan, changed within the first few hours of the morning.  I decided to go and check out a guest house that a team will be staying at in June.  As I was walking up the hill I saw a dog lying in the shade on the side of the road.  I stopped to look at it and noticed that someone had filled a small plastic container with water, but that the dog hadn't touched it.
    I tried talking to the dog to see if it was still alive and it barely opened one eye.  That's when I noticed its legs.  Evidently, it had been hit by a car or something because she was in pretty bad shape.  Just seeing her brought tears to my eyes, but I didn't know what to do.  I decided to go and look at the house and check on her on my way back.
    When I returned, an older woman had stopped in front of the dog with her trunk opened.  Another lady was helping lift the dog into the trunk.  I asked, "Is this your dog?  Do y'all need any help?"  Meaning... with getting the dog in the car.  The old lady said, "No, it's not my dog but I am going to bring it to the shelter up the road.  Can you go with me?  I can't walk well because I have problems with my leg and won't be able to get her out of the car."  I'm thinking, "Well, okay... sure."  So I hop in the car with this lady named Susanna and we drive off to the Animal Shelter.
     The veterinarian gave the dog 2 shots and said she was going to be okay.  From the looks of her legs, she had been hit by a car some time ago.  My new friend and I found out that we could donate food to the shelter in order to help the dogs from the street.  After she heals, she will be sent to a home where people can come and adopt her.
     So, all in all, it felt really good to help the poor little pup.  She probably wouldn't have made it had it not been for Susanna, the lady who took time out of her day to help another out!

No comments:

Post a Comment