Pages

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Chronos vs. Kairos-time

English has only 1 word for "time." Last night I learned that there are two words for time in Greek...Chronos and Kairos. Chronos is "time on the move" whereas Kairos is "time in the moment." Kairos is qualitative rather than qualitative.

I learned the difference between "knowing God in Chronos time" and "knowing God in Kairos" time. We can say that we have known God for 10, 20, 30 years. Maybe we grew up in the church. And it is possible to know God for a long amount of time (Chronos), but not know God and seize the moments He gives us (Kairos).

About 2 weeks ago, I decided to no longer wear a watch. "Chronos" had me too concerned with the "time" that I shouldn't be concerned about. God is teaching me so much about "His time." The moments he gives us, that pass will pass us by, if we are too focused on the Chronos time.

Kairos is our way of figuring out the Father's time. It's a time of circumstances and signs rather than clocks and alarms. Now that I understand time from Jesus' point of view, I know that Jesus will send us, when conditions are right. I am learning that He doesn't "need" me or "need" others to help him proclaim His message. For even, the rocks cry out His name. What He desires is relationship...Kairos. And He invites us to answer the question, "Who will go for me, whom shall I send?" He gives us the chance to respond..."Lord, here am I...send me!"

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we breathe, but by the moments we seize!"

No comments:

Post a Comment