Pages

Monday, February 16, 2009

He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."

I decided to be more like an eagle and less like a hummingbird this week! And God truly showed me His power through my weakness.

Throughout the week, I purposely planned less activities at school. Less talking...more interaction with kids. And my kids taught me something this week!

On Friday, I asked if they noticed anything different about the week. I got comments like, "it was more fun," "there was more interaction," "we learned by doing." I was excited that they picked up on the new style. But that wasn't the best part.

I told them that I wanted to share something from my heart. It's funny b/c just about every class threw out the comment... "You're pregnant!" (For some reason, they really think we need to have kids????)

After much laughter, I said no...it's actually about you. I told them how I had always wanted to be a good teacher, but realized that I was running in the wrong direction. I was trying to be a good teacher teaching verbs, and direct object pronouns. And that basically, I had missed the most important part...which was not up on the board, but in the audience. That they were the most important part to me, not if they knew how to use direct object pronouns.

At first, I was nervous to be so "transparent." It was "quiet" as they looked at me, some with tears in their eyes. But God truly showed me His power in my weakness. These are comments they said after a few moments:

Mrs. Castro, that is the nicest thing anyone has ever said to us!
Where is the tissue, you are making me cry!
We love you, thank you for sharing with us!
And my favorite..."Can I take lessons from your husband?" I had shared a little about Larry and our relationship, they evidently like that kind of stuff.

What a breakthrough! Of all the years I have been teaching, I believe they will remember this one. It was amazing to see God's power at work. We had fun the rest of the day, ate Valentine cupcakes, and made V. cards in Spanish.
Thank you Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment