Pages

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Translation


About 12 years ago I remember walking through the quad at Southwest Texas State University and thinking, "It would be so cool if I could major in Spanish, then maybe one day I could translate while on mission trips!" I have to say, the idea seemed really neat because not only could I teach something I was passionate about, but I'd learn another language in the process!

Last Thursday, they asked the students in our class if anyone would be willing to translate for our Academic Director during chapel. Without much thought I said, "Yo quiero hacerlo!" "I want to do it!" I was excited at first... until I went home and really thought about what I just volunteered myself to do. I mean what was I thinking? What if I didn't know a word or phrase? What if I made a fool of myself? Was I really ready for this? For a while I played with the idea of returning on Monday and telling my teacher that I had changed my mind and to find someone else.

But that's just where the enemy wants to keep us isn't it? In a place that is "safe" that way we don't experience "failure" or "embarrassment." The chance that I would mess up and make a fool of myself was possible, that was somewhat true. But what if, just what if I could do it? After all, I serve a pretty big God. He reminded me that it wasn't about me, but about what He was doing in me. So I decided to go for it. Might as well throw myself in the fire now with people who understand the difficulties of mastering another language!

It was by far one of the best experiences since I've been here! It's when we take the step of faith to do something we are afraid to do, in order to experience the awesome power of our Lord and Savior! Whether you are jumping out of a plane sky diving, trying to raise funds to go on the mission field, or walking into an unknown situation we can know this... "God is with us! He will never leave nor forsake us! When we lack the wisdom, or resources, or words-He provides the way!" Once again, the hardest part was not the "translation" (it was actually kind of fun)! The hardest part was getting over the hump!

So, I'm here to say, "Let's do that again!" Thank you Jesus that even though I didn't know every word or phrase, that you were with me as you always are! For your honor and glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment