Pages

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Learning the Heart of God While Leaning on the Everlasting Arms!

The past 2 weeks have been difficult to say the least. We have had many distractions and it felt like we were on a roller coaster-being tossed back and forth by the wind. At the time it was hard to see what God was doing through it all. Honestly, I just wanted to be on the "other side already!"
It wasn't until I went to spend "quality" time with God that I got an answer. The whole time, I was focusing on what "I" wanted, and on my fears. When I sat and listened, God reminded me that even though I am going through the fire that "I will not be burned, that He is my protector." I went to a luncheon that day as well and was challenged with these questions: "What voice are we listening too?" Are we listening to ourselves...what we want? Are we listening to the world...and all it has to offer? Are we listening to the lies of the enemy? Or, are we listening to the voice of God? Listen to the response of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abendnego when they refused to bow down to King Nebuchadnezzar or the gods he served: Daniel 3:16-18 "O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king. But if he does not, we want you to know, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up."
That day on my walk home, I decided in my heart to put my trust in God. That I would not be afraid of the things that I could not control. That although I am surrounded on every side, that I would not be moved and that I would keep my eyes fixed on HIM! What an overwhelming peace that came over me, as if Jesus had linked His arms into mine on both sides. As if He were right there beside me. I felt his presence and I smiled all the way home.
That night I went to teach English classes at the AMCA house. Before we left, a woman in my class came and asked me questions regarding her faith in God. I was able to talk with her about the words God had spoken to me just hours before and pray with her. And before we left that evening, we sang the song, "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms." What an amazing work God does, when we are willing to stop and listen. We praise Him and give Him all the glory and honor. He is working in not only our hearts, but in the hearts of many Costa Ricans!
And if you aren't sure what happened to Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego...keep reading! "Nebuchadnezzar was furious with them. He ordered the furnace heated 7 times hotter than usual and commanded some of the strongest soldiers in his army to tie them up and throw them into the blazing furnace. The furnace was so hot that the flames of the fire killed the soldiers who had taken them up. Then the King leaped to his feet in amazement and asked his advisers, "Weren't there 3 men that we tied up and threw into the fire?" They replied, "Certainly, O king." He said, "Look! I see four men walking around in the fire, unbound and unharmed, and the fourth looks like a song of the gods."

No comments:

Post a Comment