Pages

Monday, March 3, 2008

a new journey begins

As many of you know, Larry and I have recently applied with a mission organization called HCJB Global. I'll give you a little background so you know how we came to this point.

It all started in college at Southwest Texas State University in San Marcos, Tx. Larry and I were both involved with an organization known as the BSM (Baptist Student Ministry). It was during our college years that we both questioned who we really were, and what we believed in. We both found out what it means to have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Through organizations like the BSM, Cross Talk, and our college church (Martindale Baptist), we learned how to grow in our walk with God.

God began to speak to our hearts about doing missions before we were ever married. I'll never forget that night at the BSM. We were sitting on different sides of the room, and the service was all about missions. I remember the verse for the evening: Matthew 16:24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me." I knew that God was speaking to me about doing missions, even before that night. My question was, did Larry feel the same call? I was scared, very scared. What if he didn't? I felt that God was asking me to give Him everything, even my relationship with Larry. That night we went back to my apartment, and to my amazement, he said that he felt the same thing. We were very naive, b/c we thought we would get married and that 6 months later. . . voi la. . . we'd be on the mission field.

As you know, God has a plan for us. It is a plan with a hope and a future. But before we were to go, we had some lessons we needed to learn first. And that is what we have been up to the past 4 and a half years. Learning, praying, and now-eager to go!

More to come later:-) Yeah! I wrote my first blog!

5 comments:

  1. Awesome idea with the blog. It's great to see and hear about the great adventure. You'll be in our prayers.

    -Eric & family

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so proud of both of you and are so happy that you listened to God call to missions. We are excited for you and all the things God has planned for you. You can count on our physical, spiritual and financial support.

    Love, Mom and Dad Castro

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! Nice pics...even the video! Wow! Way to go!
    Lauri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for keeping us updated. How wonderful it is to be reminded of how God directed your paths to this new journey.
    Love,
    Abe and Kelly and Kiddos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda & Larry:

    I am so proud of both of you. I know your mom is looking down from heaven and smiling. She is the reason for who you are today and what you have become. Good luck in Ecuador, I know it will be a great opportunity to spread God's word. May God speed!!!!!

    Love,

    Aunt Carolyn & Uncle J.D. Deathrage

    ReplyDelete